Friday 6 November 2009

What A Shambles

The last few posts are just to prove a point really, that I have actually been writing and am (vaguely, at least) aware of what's going on.

And now I'm pretty much up to date.

So back to last night's business.

The early hours of Wednesday on a slightly tipsy bus journey home, the done thing is to check to Twitter, clearly. And once again I thank the powers that be for inventing this magical thing known as ‘social networking’.

On this occasion, I am delightfully informed that Babyshambles have been announced as, weekly club night, Smash & Grab’s* secret headliner for this week. Drunken excitement overwhelms me. And then I forget. Until the next morning when the executive decision is made to go to the gig.

Now, anyone that knows me, will know of my love for The Libertines, but, with the chances of a long-term reunion pretty slim, I have to make do.

So, to Camden I go, after spending the day feeling as excited as I used to ‘back-in-the-day’ when going to gigs would involve a three hour journey, and a two hour wait, freezing my bum off in the queue just to secure pride of place in the front row. Clearly most people weren’t quite as eager, as the place was pretty empty when I arrived.

Whilst waiting for evening’s highlight, we were ‘entertained’ by a DJ, who very much loved that people were watching her and her ridiculous ‘I’m pretending my arms are wings’, ‘interpretative dance’ MALARKY. It’s not cool, you look like a moron, go back to drama school love. And then later by two bands, whose names I can not remember, nor can I seem to find online anywhere...

So I’ll just have to get to the matter at hand then won’t I?

On rocks Pete. Denim jacket clad. Signature hat (adorned with a screwdriver this evening). Neck adorned with a tattoo reading ‘Astile’*. Looking rather chirpy. After a little bit of instrument faffing, they kick of with a new song about “a junkie from Portugal”. And the madness begins. And I know the night’s off to a good start.

The rest of the set was mostly made up of a nice selection of newbies, including a track called ‘The BNP Blues’ – played whilst things were getting even more hectic, and after a failed plea for everyone to calm down and stop pushing – and a sprinkling of older sing-alongs, including ‘Beg, Steal or Borrow’ and ‘Delivery’. Thrown in amongst everything, was also a rendition of ‘Billie Jean’, which managed to morph into The Pet Shop Boys’ ‘West End Girls’...Post the centre-barrier disappearing, and myself ending up bang in the middle of the front-row, Pete and co decide to step things up even more, and belt out ‘Killamangiro’. Somehow, near the end of this, I end up on-stage. Just in time for ‘Time For Heroes’. And so I stand on the front of the stage, singing my little heart out, overly content that this is happening*.

I’m eventually ‘re-directed’ to the side of the stage when ‘Fuck Forever’ kicks off the last of the night’s entertainment, and just as, amidst the mayhem, Pete falls over on-stage… He gets up, the music stops, the crowd go bloody mental.

And I can safely say it was one of the best gigs I’ve been to for a rather a long time. Not from a musical ability perspective or anything, but from, dare I say it, an ‘experience’ perspective. I have seen them before, but never anywhere quite as

sweaty as Proud, or quite so associated*, which made it all the more enjoyable for me.

Have some pictures, courtesy of me and my expert photo-taking skillZ with a 'Z':





Useless Libertines related pop facts:

*Smash & Grab – Weekly club night organised by Queens of Noize. One of whom, Tabitha, was present an DJing last night. She can also be seen in the ‘Up The Bracket’ video.

*’Astile’ – The name of Pete and Lisa Moorish’s son. His name is an amalgamation of the letters from theirs.

*As mentioned, I am a ridiculous, geeky Libertines fan. And I partly blame them for nurturing my fascination and love for London. So ultimately, it is their fault I now live here.

*Proud – When the Gallery doesn’t have a Kings Of Leon photography exhibition on, as it does now, the walls are adorned with many of Roger Sargent’s iconic images of The Libertines.

No comments:

Post a Comment