Wednesday 11 November 2009

God Damn Damaris

I love Patrick Wolf.
I'm sure most people are aware of this fact by now.

I got a lovely little email t'other day spreading word that of the release of 'Damaris', the third single from Th Bachelor.

Continuing the album’s theme of lost love, ‘Damaris’ relays the tale of an 1800’s love that was never to be, which Patrick discovered whilst tracing his family’s ancestry. You get the impression that this is more than simply the telling of a story though, and can’t help but consider the similarities Wolf has drawn between himself and Lewis – the Romeo of the saga – whose perspective he takes in the track, especially given the overall subject matter of The Bachelor.

A dramatic tale of romance, voiced in a way only he is capable of, Patrick Wolf’s ‘Damaris’ is set to be released on December 14th.

The video came to light a matter of hours later. Which I was rather excited about seeing.

But, after watching the video a few times since it was let loose, I’m left feeling a little bit underwhelmed…

Now, as I’m sure you’re aware, I normally can’t fault the Wolf, but The Bachelor’s previous two videos have made much more of an impact than this, which – with Wolf as the Lewis/Romeo character, and Gwendoline Christie (what a fabulous name) as Damaris – to me this is just all a bit too art-school-project-esque...

Maybe a few more viewings’ll do it for me... Maybe not... Who knows...

See for yourselves…

No comments:

Post a Comment